1. Good skin can pull off any make-up look so always exfoliate, cleanse and moisturise. A primer will transform your skin into the ideal blank canvas, and ensures long-lasting, even coverage – you want that summer glow to stay put, however hot it gets! And don’t forget to factor in some SPF – many products have it as standard, but double check to make sure you’re covered.
2. It isn’t called foundation for nothing. Finding the right base is the key to achieving a dewy, barely there summer make-up look. Avoid foundations with heavy matt coverage: a radiant summer glow calls for an illuminating sheer foundation or tinted moisturiser. If you’re lucky enough to have on-trend freckles, you’ll want a product with light coverage to let them shine through.
3. For a healthy, sun-kissed glow, as worn so well by Gigi Hadid, use a fan-shaped brush to sweep bronzer onto the high points of your cheekbones. Use in moderation for an understated look, and if you prefer a rosebud blush try shades of pretty pinks and peaches. Finish with the lightest dusting of translucent powder.
4. For wide-eyed, natural-looking peepers take a leaf out of Mila Kunis’ look book and use eyelash curlers and a palette of flattering browns, taupes and golds on the eyelids. Keep your brows natural and full – a gel will help keep them in place whether you’re poolside or partying. A waterproof cream eyeliner is just the ticket for creating a subtle cat’s eye flick that won’t wander.
5. Fresh make-up needn’t preclude a bit of glamorous glitter, as Margot Robbie knows well. Apply a shimmer of colourful eyeshadow and combine with a bright berry lip for effortless red-carpet style. Or, team a burnt orange lip colour with similar eye shadow for an alternative take on the theme.
6. Having said that, a nude matte lip makes the perfect partner for a no-fuss summer face. Choose from a palette of easy to wear brown or pink neutrals and don’t skimp on the prep – ensure your lips are exfoliated and moisturised with lip balm or oil to keep them soft and kissable.
7. Step up the TLC for happy summer hair. Treat your tresses to conditioning masques and smooth out frizz with nourishing oil. For relaxed day-time styling, Gigi Hadid’s casually tousled beach waves are an inspiration – use a mousse product to prep a soft volumised look that’s not too obviously ‘groomed’.
Make Blake Lively’s repertoire of loose chignon up-dos your template for laid-back summer style and allow a few stray tendrils to flatteringly frame your face. Those with a shoulder-length bob, can look to Margot Robbie for a masterclass in how to work this versatile style. Whether bed-head tousled or poker straight, with a centre or side parting, tucked behind an ear or gently scooped into a messy bun, the bob is equally at home at beach or bar, or onwards and upwards to the after-show party.